As of April 2022
The Animal Health Requirements may have changed. Please ask your country's government for details.
All quarantine procedures are based on the special animal health protocols agreed upon between the government authorities of each country and the Japanese Government. Import is thereby under the conditions that the horse will be temporarily imported to Japan to run in a race and will immediately undergo export quarantine after the race.
Under the quarantine conditions applied to overseas trained horses, the Government mandates that the period of stay of a horse in Japan shall be 60 days or less (from the day of release from import quarantine up to the day before export quarantine).
- The following quarantine procedures will take place:
- a)Upon arrival at the international airport, horses must be immediately transported to the Quarantine Center. Japanese Government quarantine officers carry out individual quarantine procedures for the participating horses. However, horses arriving on the same plane will normally be tested together.
- b)The import quarantine period is a minimum of seven days (arrival and departure date to and from the quarantine is included in the quarantine period). Transportation to the Racecourse is allowed only after the completion of import quarantine. It is necessary to clear all the tests that are required by the Japanese Government during the quarantine period.
← QUARANTINE PERIOD → Move to
Racecourse**Except Tokyo Racecourse
- c)During the quarantine period, horses must follow the training timetable designated by the quarantine officer.
- d)During the quarantine period, Grooms and Exercise Riders must enter and exit the Quarantine Center according to the separately established Standard Operation Procedure.
- e)On the last day of the quarantine period, the tests that are required by the Japanese Government will be conducted.
- f)After being cleared from quarantine, necessary follow up measures will be instituted at the racecourse for epidemic prevention.
- g)The export quarantine will be conducted at the racecourse. The period is one day or less. However, this is not applicable in cases where the Government of the importing country (e.g. Australia) requires more days of the quarantine period than that which is prescribed by the Japanese Government.
BEST HOSPITALITY for YOUR HORSE
BRAND NEW INTERNATIONAL STABLE AT
For races at Tokyo Racecourse
A new International Stable will be opened at Tokyo Racecourse in Autumn 2022 to welcome overseas horses and horsemen. Horses can enter the stable directly from the airport for the quarantine and stay there until the race. Each barn has a dedicated grass paddock, air conditioning and remote monitoring system of the horse. The nice setting with brand-new facilities will ensure your horse settles quickly and smoothly in the new environment in Tokyo. The JRA’s skilled professional team, including a veterinarian and farrier, will be on-site to support you during your stay.
The International Stable, surrounded by a 300m exercising Dirt track, has 6 barns. Each barn houses 2 horses and has a grass-picking area, monitor, tack room and a space for sta-ff to rest. Up to 12 horses can be accommodated at the same time.
Exercising and track work
There are 3 tracks (300m exercising Dirt track, Dirt course and Turf course*) which can be used for training depending on the progress of the quarantine and the availability of the courses. Schooling of the racecourse will be permitted.
* Turf course will be available only after the import quarantine period has ended.
Introductory Video for International Stable at Tokyo Racecourse
OTHER QUARANTINE CENTERS (excluding races at Tokyo Racecourse)
We also have quarantine and stay bases in two locations in the east and west of Japan. Both options have good access to the airport and racetracks, and are fully equipped with accommodations and training tracks. We promise a comfortable stay for racehorses and training staff.
Via Narita International Airport
Horse Racing School
This quarantine center is located on the premises of Horse Racing School, about 60 minutes by horse van from the Narita International Airport. The facility offers a dirt training track of 1,400m (about 7 furlongs) in circumference and 17m wide.
Transportation time from Horse Racing School Center to
Each Racecourse / Airport by horse van
|From Narita International Airport:||50km/31 miles||1 hour|
|To Nakayama Racecourse:||10km/6.2 miles||0.5 hours|
|To Chukyo Racecourse:||372km/231 miles||5.5 hours|
|To Hanshin Racecourse:||550km/343.5 miles||10 hours|
Via Kansai International Airport
Miki Horseland Park
This quarantine center is located on the premises of Miki Horseland Park, a public operated foundation in Hyogo Prefecture, in the western part of Japan. The facility offers a dirt outer track of 880m in circumference and 10m wide, and a smaller inner track of 627m in circumference and 10m wide.
Transportation time from Miki Horseland Park to
Each Racecourse / Airport by horse van
|From Kansai International Airport:||150km/93.5 miles||2 hours|
|To Chukyo Racecourse:||225km/139.5 miles||3 hours|
|To Hanshin Racecourse:||50km/32.5 miles||1 hour|